History and Statutes:
Approved at the 439th session of the Supreme Council of the Cultural Revolution dated 1999 March 16.
According to Article 24 of the Law on Objectives and Duties of the Supreme Council of the Cultural Revolution (Resolution No. 3603 / Dash, dated 2000 November 22), the Academy of Arts of the Islamic Republic of Iran is established in accordance with this statute.
Article 1. Purpose:
The purpose of its establishment is to preserve national and Islamic cultural and artistic heritage to propose policies, strategies, latest findings, and innovations, and also to promote the Islamic culture to face the threats of invading cultures.
Article 2. Duties( Task):
1. advising on policy-making to preserve and develop the Islamic, national and local arts.
2. Cooperation with seminaries and religious research centers (Howze Elmiyeh) and religious eminent figures (Ulama) in recognizing and defining the jurisprudential principles of arts.
3. Study and making use of new art theories, with reliance and emphasis on Islamic and national fundamentals.
4. Supporting and encouraging eminent researchers, and tracing researches and proposals in the field of art at the national scale.
5. advising on policy-making in the relationship between local and overseas art societies and associations.
6. Advising to adopt policies to develop art criticism and aesthetic issues.
7. Advising to define art development indices.
8. Assessing the art indices in the country, annually.
9. Holding annual seminars, conferences, meetings, congresses, and sessions in various fields of arts.
10. Surveying the shortcomings of the State's educational system in the field of arts and giving advice to the relevant authorities.
11. Studies on the relationship among the interdisciplinary art courses and those corresponding to the art field.
12. Suggesting new university courses,(interdisciplinary ), to relevant authorities.
13. Introducing qualified artists and researchers to the relevant organizations to enjoy the scholarships and grants.
14. Supporting the writings and translating notable sources on art.
15. Forming specialized departments inside the Academy.
16. Proposing guidelines for awarding art medals, badges, etc. to relevant organizations.
17. Presenting awards and prizes in the field of research, translation, and artistic creation to the eminent figures.
Article 3. Pillars:
1. The President as the High President of the Academy;
2. Board of Trustees;
All academies will have a board of trustees, the composition of which will be as follows:
- First Vice President as Chairman of the Board of Trustees;
- Ministry of Science, Research and Technology, Health, Treatment and Medical Education and Islamic Culture and Guidance;
- Heads of academies;
- Two scientists and experts at the suggestion of the president of each academy;
3. General Assembly;
4. President of the Academy;
5. Specialized Council.
Article 4. General Assembly
The General Assembly is composed of all the permanent members of the Academy. The meeting of this assembly is held at least once a year.
Note 1- Affiliated members can participate in the General Assembly without the right to vote.
Note 2: The chairman of the General Assembly is the head of the Academy.
Article 5. Duties of the General Assembly
1. Approval of the academy's scientific policies and programs;
2. Approval of the regulations on the implementation of scientific activities of the Academy;
3. Selection of "introduced artists" by the Specialized Council to receive rewards, prizes, tuition fees, art medals, badges, and study opportunities to the President of the Academy;
4. Approval of associate, affiliate, and honorary members.
Article 6. Specialized Council
The specialized council consists of:
- President of the Academy, as Chairman of the Council;
- Heads of specialized groups.
Article 7. Duties of the Specialized Council
1. Reviewing the policies and scientific programs of the Academy and proposing it to the General Assembly for approval;
2. Approving and compiling the regulations on how to carry out the scientific activities of the Academy and submitting it to the General Assembly for approval;
3. Determining the duties of specialized groups;
4. Reviewing and commenting on research projects and referring them to relevant specialized groups;
5. Determining the most important issues and topics that need to be researched and proposing them to scientific and competent centers in the country;
6. Preparing and compiling criteria related to awarding rewards, prizes, and medals to eligible individuals and proposing it to the Board of Trustees for approval;
7. Designate artists who are eligible to receive a reward, award, medal, or study opportunity and nominate them to the General Assembly for approval;
8. Reviewing and proposing criteria regarding the promotion of the scientific level of scientific seminars, congresses, and conferences at national and international levels and evaluation of such assemblies;
9. Carrying out other matters referred to this council by the Board of Trustees, the General Assembly, and the President of the Academy.
Article 8. President of the Academy
The President of the Academy is elected from among the members of the Academy on the proposal of the President of the State and with the approval of the Supreme Council of the Cultural Revolution and by his decree for a term of four years. The change of the mentioned heads due to various reasons such as death, resignation, dismissal, and resignation before the end of the period will be in the same way.
Note: The re-election of the President of the Academy is unrestricted.
Article 9. Duties of the President of the Academy
1- Proposing the administrative organization, budget, and annual accounts to the Board of Trustees for approval;
2- Proposing the membership of the Academy in international assemblies;
3- Appointment of heads of specialized groups;
4- Proposing individuals as permanent, affiliated, or honorary members of the Academy to the General Assembly for approval;
5- Following up and supervising the proper implementation of the decisions of the General Assembly and the Specialized Council;
6- Inviting the members of the Board of Trustees, the General Assembly, and the Specialized Council to convene a meeting.
Article 10. Secretary of the Academy
The secretary of the academy is appointed by the president of the academy.
Article 11. Duties of the Secretary of the Academy
1. Managing all the affairs of the secretariat, including administrative and financial;
2. Providing the required staff of the academy;
3. Carrying out other matters assigned to him by the Board of Trustees, the General Assembly, the Specialized Council, and the President of the Academy.
Article 12. Specialized groups
The specialized groups of the Academy are:
1. Department of Drama and Dramatic Literature;
3. Department of Architecture and Urban Planning;
4. Department of Traditional Arts and Crafts;
5. Visual Arts Group;
6. Cinema Group;
7. Multimedia group;
8. Philosophy of Art Group;
9. Art Revolution Group.
Note 1- Each specialized group consists of a number of permanent or affiliated members and expert artists who have been selected for membership in the group by the President of the Academy according to their type of specialization.
Each specialized group will have a chairperson who will be appointed by the head of the academy.
Note 2: The task of the group will be to prepare research programs and submit them to the Specialized Council.
The Academy is an institution with an independent legal personality that is affiliated with the institution of the Presidency. The credits that are allocated for the Academy in the annual budget of the country are in the line of credits of the presidential institution.
The Academy shall be subject to the regulations approved by the Board of Trustees, except in the case of accounting subject to Article 31 of the General Accounting Law in terms of financial and transactional affairs.
The proposed individuals for membership in the Academy are selected with the introduction and approval of the Supreme Council of the Cultural Revolution or the relevant Academy itself and based on the approved scientific criteria.
Note 1- The permanent members must be Iranian and obliged to observe the laws of the Islamic Republic of Iran. These members must also have at least an associate degree, research leadership, or among outstanding artists.
Note 2: The membership of "undocumented" experts and artists, if their "artistic degree" has been evaluated in accordance with the relevant regulations equivalent to the above, is unrestricted.
Note 3- Prominent international artists and art researchers can be accepted as honorary members of the Academy. These artists will not have any duties in the academy and their selection will be in honor of their scientific position.
Note 4- The membership of affiliated members will be for a period of four years and their membership will continue in the same way as provided in the articles of association.
The Academy will have 30 associate members from among experts and artists in various fields. For the first time, 20 people will be selected on the proposal of the Arts Council and with the approval of the Supreme Council of the Cultural Revolution. Subsequent cases as well as the selection of 10 more people will be acted upon in accordance with Article 15.
The by-laws on "How to handle" the annual accounts of the institute are prepared in coordination with the Presidential Institution and the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Finance and are approved by the Board of Trustees.
This statute, consisting of 17 articles and 9 notes, was approved in the 439th session of the Supreme Council of the Cultural Revolution, dated 1999 March 16, and according to the approvals of the 465th sessions, dated 2000 August 1, 477, dated 2001 April 10, and 650, dated 2009 October 13. 7/21 The Supreme Council of the Cultural Revolution has been reformed